SPAR / Limited Resources Rescue
May 15-17, 2020
SPAR / SRT - Level 2
Location: Bucks Pocket State Park, Alabama
This is the same class we teach for Southwestern Community College Public Safety Training in North Carolina based on the SPAR technique (small party assisted rescue). This SRT Level 2 course is designed for lightweight rescue teams, vertical cavers, climbers, recreational rappellers, tree climbers and anyone else who practices vertical rope skills. The course is designed to provide the necessary skills to rescue yourself or others during rope related activities. Areas that these skills may come in useful are tree climber rescues, rescues of hunters in tree stands, rescues of climbers / rappellers stuck on rope, cave rescue, and canyon rescue. Students will learn and practice techniques using minimal gear.
This is an advanced class. There are numerous techniques presented in this class with all work being in the field (no classroom time), so students are expected to know basic knots, basic concepts of rigging, and understand how to climb a rope with ascending gear before attending (SRT Level 1). We prefer a Frog Climbing System for this course and a harness with a low attachment point (such as the Petzl Falcon Ascent or Superavanti), but any system and harness the student is comfortable with will work. Ropes used during this course range from 8.3mm to 11mm.
- Single Rope Climbing / Knot Passes / Chanegovers
- Two Rope Pickoffs (Lowering on vistim's rope)
- High Directionals / Gin Poles / Improvised Anchors
- Guided Rappels
- Buddy Rappels
- Take-Down Rappels / Route Cleaning
- Contingency Lowers
- Mainline Break-Ins
- Lightweight Mechanical Advantage
- Single Rope Anchor / Lower / Haul
- Traveling Hauls
- Single Rope Bottom Up Pick-Offs
- Counterbalance Techniques
- Twin Trackline Highline Techniques w/ Single Rope
Student must be able to climb a single rope with ascending gear. Student may use whatever system they prefer, such as prusiks, frog system, RAD system, etc. If you have never ascended on rope, then this is not the class for you.
Helmet, Harness, Ascending Gear, Descender, Single Sheave Pulley, Short & Long Prusik (5-6mm), 5 or 6 Carabiners, Good Attitude, Food, Water, Rain Gear. Extra Frog System climbing gear, extra technical gear, and ropes provided by the instructors.
Kevin Reeves, Jason Lovvorn, Jeff Randall
Limited to 10 students since we like to keep it around a 3:1 ratio of students to instructors. This is a fast paced class with a lot of information and techniques presented.
Location / Times:
Bucks Pocket State Park – Grove Oak, Alabama.
Class starts at 0800 and ends at 1700 each day. Lunch in the field.
- Day 1: SRT Climbing, Changeovers, Pickoffs, High Directionals, Improvised Anchors
- Day 2: Take-Down Rappels, Guided Rappels, Buddy Rappels, Re-Belays, Contingency Lowers
- Day 3: Single Rope Anchors, Mainline Break-Ins, Lightweight MA, Traveling Hauls, Single Rope Pickoffs, Twin Highline Trackline w/ Single Rope
If you are a member of Randall’s Adventure & Training Search and Rescue or another credentialed SAR team and have vertical climbing experience, there is no charge for this class. Please email Patrick to add your name to the class roster.